Thursday, May 20, 2010

Prediction vs. Conviction, Part One

Welcome to Prediction vs. Conviction, in which I explain what teams I realistically want to advance from group play versus what teams I actually think will advance from competition.

Word of warning:

Some of my predictions are completely based upon hope; it's hard to be a fan and a realist at the same time.  If you somehow decide to use this as a betting tool, you're an idiot.  A big, fat, racist idiot.



Group A - South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay and France

Want:  South Africa and Uruguay.

Mexico are a bunch of bitches.  They day I want them to advance is the day I shit out my mouth.

France doesn't even deserve to be here.  Using the transitive property, they don't deserve to advance.

South Africa needs a win right now, and I'm not just referring to the soccer team.  With so much negative press leading up to the Cup, advancing to the second round would send the country into pandemonium.  A positive pandemonium.  I'm rooting for South Africa harder than any other team, besides the USMNT.

Not only do I think Uruguay deserves a little break this year after poor recent performances in World Cup play, I'm actually pretty sure they'll get it.  Forward and noted fitness enthusiast Diego Forlan is in incredible form at the moment.  Expect him to put the team on his back more than once.

Will:  Mexico and France.

I have a sinking feeling this is what's actually going to happen, if only because it's the exact opposite of what I want.  God and I have an interesting relationship.

Group B - Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea and Greece

Want:  Argentina and Nigeria.

Korea is a solid team with very few discernible stars besides Park Ji Sung.  Nothing wrong with them, per say, just a little too old and a little lacking in creativity.

Greece plays defense.  Their 23 man roster will have 40 defenders on it.  It's all about counter attacking for Greece, but I don't see that working in this group.

Argentina is too classy to not advance to the Round of 16.  Though I still think of them as the Italians of South America, as a fan of the game, it's impossible not to root for Lionel Messi (that is, unless you're Brazilian).  If anything's going to go wrong here, I guarantee you it's Maradona's fault.  That guy = CRAZY.

Nigeria squeaked into the cup on the last day of AFC qualifying (don't quote me on that), but they're exciting and dangerous.  Do they defend well?  Not particularly, but they're more interested in winning 6-3 than 1-0.  With Yakubu and Martins running around up top, you've got enough Thunder and Lightning to take some teams out.

Will:  Argentina and Greece.

I just can't see Argentina not taking it to South Korea and Nigeria, so two wins will be enough.  Greece could advance on three ties.  Did I mention their 60 defenders?

1 comment:

  1. Group A: I don't think the host country has ever not advanced out of the group stage.

    I think it will be Mexico and South Africa because Domenech is a ritard

    ReplyDelete