Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Man on the Street - Volume 4


Matt sent me another email tonight, the same night in which I beat my brother and my friend Scott in a Ten Tacos Race.  I am inebriated, so I'll post Matt's shit.  Right.  Now.

ENJOY.

All:

The only interesting note about the Spain vs Portugal game is that Portugal fans were also booing Ronaldo after his 5th or so flop. What a joke. It summed up the match appropriately.

Since the game didn't live up to the hype, I thought I might clue you in on some other aspects of 2010 world cup games.  First off the security is poor at best. None of us had our bags checked at the US/Algeria game and you can pretty much get through a metal detector without complaint even if it goes off.  It makes you feel REAL safe... I almost feel weird posting this kind of info.

Second, each stadium has the same menu (most likely fifa mandated). Your choice of hot dogs (R25): regular, cheese, chilli. Except the chilli dog is just a dog with a few peppers ground into it, no chilli sauce whatsoever, very disappointing. It doesn't matter anyway because you have a 1/3 chance of actually getting what you ordered.  I will give some props on the mustard, it is slightly sweet and tangy and makes up for the dog. Other options include mash and gravy for a cheap R10 and a rather big bag of chips, both are decent. Coke products for drinks and Bud for alcohol, but at least prices aren't too bad.

My only real complaint though is that fifa has decided not to show any replay in the stadium that involves ANY questionable call. Each stadium has two very nice jumbotrons and after a close call you might see a second or two of the replay before some dude switches the in house feed to a wide angle shot of the stadium. Half of the time the plays aren't even controversial and so you miss cool shots.  You have no idea how annoying this becomes. Perhaps they are trying to protect the refs or make sure no riots ensue, but it needs to be changed along with goal line technology.


Finally, we've seen the "official fan vehicle" at 3 games so far and while I don't think it is truly official, it is pretty sweet.
Hopefully our last game - Brazil vs The Netherlands - will be more exciting than this one.

Cheers,

Matt

P.s. - if it sounded like I'm cranky I am.

3 comments:

  1. At one of the games, they ran out of food and all they had left were muffins. MUFFINS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were they dusty? No one likes dusty muffins...

    ReplyDelete