Thursday, June 3, 2010

Eating my words.

What is a man supposed to do when someone he hates with all his heart suddenly does something wonderful?

I've got my crack team of Portuguese translators (read: one Brazilian) working on the subtleties of the article I'm about to post below, but the most salient paraquotephrase is this, a response to a question about the recent ratification of a law to legalize gay marriage in Portugal:

"The Portuguese man that I am, I try to keep informed about what is happening in my country.  I know the law was passed and the comment it deserves is that we must respect the choices made by anyone, because, after all, all citizens should have the exact same rights and responsibilities." - Cristiano Ronaldo


I've really got to hand it to you.  As arguably the world's most famous athlete, this is an extremely progressive thing to say.  The tone is slightly passive, but still, it's a hell of a lot more than any American superstar has ever done.  Ultimately, I don't think this changes my opinion on your style of play, but it sure as fuck makes me think a lot more of you as a person.

Thank you for this, Cristiano.  Seriously.  Thank you.

-ZGS

PS:  Paraquotephrase stolen from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment