Sunday, July 11, 2010

Coin Flip.

The Final is almost here.  Just a couple hours.  This is supposedly the point where I announce my full and (un)educated support for one of the teams.  I just can't do it.  I'm sorry.  I just can't do it.

I know it makes me an ass, but I'm not going to choose a favorite in the final.  I fully admit that this is about the lamest thing I could do right now, the equivalent of saying "I think everyone involved is a winner!  I just want to see a good game!"  If I were someone besides me reading this, I would think "Jesus, what a DOUCHEbag.  Grow some balls.  Pick a team."


I'M SORRY.  I CAN'T.  Here's why:

I like both of these squads, but I just don't LOVE them.  I obviously don't hate either of them, either.  If I sat down and made a list of things about each team that were pluses and minuses,  they would pretty much even out.  I suppose you could call this Final a win-win situation, but that would be even lamer than what I wrote above.  Before this tournament started, I picked Spain to win the whole thing, but I kind of assumed they would be playing Brazil or England or some other team that would make it crazy-easy to be a raging Spanish partisan.  When the Netherlands forged its way into the final, they ruined everything.  Everything.

Who do I think is going to win?  Spain.  And that ALMOST makes me want to root for the Dutch.  I've said it before and I'll say it again:  We haven't really seen the Spanish play their best football, yet.  They've been beating good teams by grinding them down, and I think that's what's going to happen to Holland.  Sorry, Holland.

But I'm not convinced.  And because I'm not convinced, there's only one way to decide this.  I'm flipping a coin.  Spain is heads and Netherlands is tails.  My decision rubric is this:


The Spanish are heads because Puyol scored a header goal to put them into the finals.


The Dutch are tails because Wesley Sneijder looks kind of like Feivel from An American Tale.

Here goes.  For the record, I always catch and flip it onto the back of my hand.  That's how I roll.


The Netherlands it is.  See you on the other side of victory.  God bless us, every one.

-ZGS

No comments:

Post a Comment